What I wanted to ask….

This is a new category based on an idea from Marta. A question will be posted asking for input and counsel regarding a specific challenge. Please use the comment section for your response.

Q1: I have these recurring thoughts of worry/ fear about the future. These past few days have gotten worse.

Your words of wisdom will be appreciated.

If you have a question, please feel free to email it to me and I will post it accordingly.

About Michaela

I am a wanderer and a wonderer, like you are. I love our journey and to walk in the company of friends – to learn, experience, share, laugh, cry and above all I simply love this marvelous, magical, mysterious life. I have no plan (cannot believe I am saying this) and my only intention is to be truthful to myself and others.
This entry was posted in What I wanted to ask..... Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to What I wanted to ask….

1. marietta says:

I think everyone has similar thoughts, the question is why some manage to skip them while others dont . I think it could be a way of self punishment,because perhaps we did not act to our best interest ,a lot of times. Its a a big subject.

2. Michaela says:

It may be that some people don’t take their own thoughts not so serious. We do not know what the future has in store for us until the moment it happens. Sometimes we worry because we have had some not so good experiences in the past, and sometimes we are too much stuck on our expectations of how things should work out.

Best to relax and ask of myself: “is there something I really need right NOW ?”

3. Michaela says:

Here are some more answers

4. Johanna says:

Wonderful, Michaela – how did you do it?
    Making that shift, atention to consciousness itself – only ever the slightest glimmer…
    Why am I so slow????

5. Michaela says:

Is this your question, Johanna ?

Why am I so slow ?

6. Johanna says:

I hadn’t thought of it that way, but, yes: Why am I so slow? The yearning has been there for so long… why can’t I let it all in? (or out)?

7. Johanna11 says:

Dear Marta,
    I’m very sory, I think what I wrote before was not really helpful – too much concerned with my own issues?
    I wonder if this is still relevant, but one practical technique I have found helpful with worries about the future is to sit down with an exercise book and pen and write out eveything, as much as you can, going on for at least 5 pages. That is important, as a blockage may occur befor you get to 5 pages. If that happens, don’t stop, just keep writing, even if it’s to say “can’t think of anything more, mind’s gone blank”, or whatever. Keep on with that until another idea comes in, and go on to finish the 5 pages. I like the immediacy of writing, rather than typing on a keyboard…

Great suggestion to raise questions like this. I also hope you’ll at some stage say something more about what’s going on for you.. and what helped.

Very best wishes,
    Johanna

8. Abitiki says:

I used to suffer from this too. It was something I grew up around, a bit like a negativity virus transmitted to me by my family.
    I found it helped if I recognised the worry was of something imaginary (but only 100% of the time!)
    Then, since I was imagining, I would turn it around until I was imagining the most positive thing I could think of.
    For example, if my partner was late and I had a negative thought that he might have had an accident, I would turn it around immediately, to a picture of him coming in, saying he had a great time and something amazing made him take longer getting home, picture the dog bouncing in with him, tail wagging, etc – general all-round really happy imagining.
    Let’s face it, it takes the same energy to imagine joy as it does misery.

Ultimately that was just a technique to remind me that the mind doesn’t need to be allowed to run scenarios, and that there’s no actual truth in what I was imagining. That led to eventually letting go of any kind of imagining-of-the-future altogether (a bit like using a meditation technique to learn to undo habits, then let go of the technique).
    Now I tend to find any kind of imagining the future to feel weird & somehow off (including any kind of fantasizing or whatever), because it’s not real, and when I do it I’m not here, so I don’t let it go on, & prefer to bring myself very firmly back to the simple awareness of being in my body, and being here and now in my senses rather than somewhere else in my mind.

Also worked for ‘big issues’ like the state of the planet…once I would change the negative to imagining positive outcomes like some timely invention of new technology that was previously unforseen & so on.
    I also find I don’t do this anymore, because it felt a bit too much like the kind of unconscious prayer where you project your will out into the world (which is already full of other people projecting their will etc)…
    So now I prefer to just let go of worrying, and hold a place inside my heart (inside my own energy, not projected out) for unforseen potential that’s in balance & harmony with all that is.
    It’s a relief to me, to let go of the future.
    It’s also a relief to me, to let go of projecting my will into the world.

But if the observer effect in quantum experiments suggests that we see the results we expect to see, then it’s better to imagine well than badly.
    Better still not to imagine at all, it seems to me.

9. Sheila says:

….’hold a place inside my heart for unforseen potential that’s in balance & harmony with all that is.’
    What a beautiful pointer to remind myself when in the throws of worry and fret. Thank you so much, Abi. xoxo

10. Marta says:

Thank you Michaela for this. Forever grateful!

Thank you to everyone who replied. Good pointers!

As I now see it, facing a new year put me in panic mode. The idea of what the whole year could bring brought out fear, I am embarass to say (abitiki, I was better off imagining good things for sure, and will use that technique). Got completely away from the Now.

Glad to report those feelings have vanished.

All the best everyone!

11. Michaela says:

Hi Marta.

That I am glad to hear. Thanks for coming up with the question…..